Friday, October 24, 2014

Security System

"Did you lock the door?" Katie asked in a panicky whisper.

"I have no idea. I usually only do before I go to bed." I whispered back. "Ohmygod!"

I heard the door squeak open, and footsteps coming inside. I was 100% sure we were going to die right here, right now. A shadow fell into the entry way, and Katie let out loud, high-pitched scream. My whole body was shaking and I was ready to either run or faint at any second.

"What the fuck? Skye?" I heard Chris' voice and could have cried in relief. He poked his head around the corner and gave us a weird look. "What's with the scream you weirdo? You probably scared Koda out of his nonexistent pants."

We both dissolved into giggles and I explained once I finally caught my breath. "We saw Rheece when we went for a walk and hauled ass back home. We thought it was him knocking at the door. Since when do you knock, you usually just waltz right in?"

"I know but I thought you might have locked your door since the whole Jess and Rheece thing." He explained. "That's actually why I came over here. I saw Rheece's car parked across the street when I came home from work a little while ago. I went outside to see why he was here but he left pretty quick when he saw me coming."

Katie looked worried, her face mirroring my thoughts. "He's seriously fucked up. Skye, you need to be careful."

I wholeheartedly agreed but I also didn't want to have to hide out in my own house just because Rheece decided he had it out for me. I wouldn't even be in this position if Jess hadn't told him my address. "What if I text Jess and tell her she needs to get him to back off?"

Chris opened the fridge in search of a bottle of beer. "It wouldn't hurt to try. After last time though she might just think you're lying."

I pulled out my phone anyways, and typed out a text.

S: Hey Jess. Rheece has been around my neighborhood tonight, please tell him to leave me alone.

We decided to start a movie in the living room so we could all get more comfortable and I was hoping it would ease some of my nerves. Having a nutcase around definitely made me nervous. At least I knew Chris was only a few feet away. Halfway through the movie my phone vibrated. Chris paused the movie while I grabbed my phone off the coffee table.

J: Don't be stupid, he's not in your neighborhood. He's in Portland for business this weekend. Don't text me again!

I read it out loud and we all sat in silence for a moment.

"I'm 100% sure it was him." Chris declared. "I've seen his car before when he picked up Jess and it was definitely the same car. And I could see his face because he was parked close to the streetlamp."

Katie nodded in agreement. "I definitely saw him too. So either she's lying to cover for him, or he's lying to her about where he really is."

"Ugh, I wish I would have stayed out of that situation right from the beginning. What do I do now?"

We thought about this for a moment, our movie forgotten. 
"We should get you a security system?" Chris thought out loud.

"Wouldn't that be too expensive? And I feel like that would make this into a bigger deal than it should be." We all agreed on this and drank more wine while we thought of a relatively reasonable and doable solution.

"You could get another dog." Katie suggested. "Maybe a bigger one with some protective instincts. I mean, Koda is protective of you but weighs 5 pounds."

"Hmm, not a bad idea." I looked at him curled up beside me on the couch, only his nose peeking out from under the blanket. "It would have to be an older one though so Koda and him can just chill during the day."

We spent a while looking up rescue dogs in the Seattle shelter before going to bed. Chris stayed over with us so we felt saver. Our evening was so busy that when I went to sleep, I didn't even realize that I hadn't heard from Nate all day. 

3 comments:

  1. I just read the entire blog from the beginning and i am LOVING this story. I can't wait for the next post. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! New post is up (although a day late...whoops!) Xo

      Delete
  2. Ahh Im getting scared for Skye.

    Also, How dumb can Jess be? I understand being in denial but she's being a straight up tool lol poor Skye was just trying to look out for her!

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete