Monday, September 15, 2014

Breakfast Conversations

The first thing I did when I woke up Sunday morning and feel regret for not enjoying the date last night to the full extent that I should have. I wasn't sure if my previous experiences (or lack of experiences) led me to judge him so quick or if I was just nervous, but that was not the person I usually was. I picked up my phone and, after seeing it was not even seven yet, decided that sending Nathaniel a text would probably be best right now. 

S: I'm sorry for being so distant at the end of our date last night. I didn't even thank you properly and that's just not okay. Can I make it up to you?

To my surprise he sent a text back right away.

N: Don't apologize, just tell me if I did something wrong. And if this is you asking me out on another date then that is a definite yes.

I smiled, happy he wasn't mad about the night before. S: Deal. Want to come over for breakfast?

It took a couple minutes before he replied. N: Be there at 9!

S: Sounds good! Door is unlocked so just come on in.

I let Koda outside to do his morning business then decided to lay back down for a couple minutes and close my eyes. Before I knew it I heard someone knock on my bedroom door.

"Skye?" Nathaniel's voice came doorway.

I shot up in bed. "Oh shit!" I frantically searched for my phone in the covers to look at the time. It was definitely nine o'clock and I was definitely not anywhere near ready. "I'm so sorry. I must have fallen back asleep. Do you want to wait downstairs and I'll just get dressed really quick?"

"Sure, not a problem." Nathanial headed downstairs, Koda hot on his heels.

I got dressed in jeans and a black tank top in record time, threw my messy blonde hair up in a bun, and made sure I had no leftover make up from the night before on my face. I hurried down the stairs to see Nathanial brewing coffee and filling Koda's bowl with kibble. I gave Nathaniel a hug and a kiss on the cheek and started making the batter for waffles. He helped me cook the bacon and scramble eggs and it surprised me how quickly we got into a rhythm. In no time breakfast was done and my kitchen smelled delicious.

Over waffles, bacon, and scrambled eggs I decided it was time to fess up about my weird behaviour last night. "I am sorry about last night. I had such a good time and I really didn't show you that. Your captain asking whether you want the usual route made me feel like you take girls out on dates like that all the time which kind of made me feel uncomfortable. And in reality it shouldn't have because it's none of my business what you do and who you do it with."

"Skye." Nathanial took my hand. "I've never taken another woman on my yacht. You were the first person I have done that with, although I will admit that I go on my own on a regular basis."

I smiled, relieved. He didn't owe me an explanation, but I felt thankful for it nonetheless. "Well then this thank you needs to be extra big because I loved that you took me last night."

Nathanial was rubbing his thumb across my hand, and I was completely lost in his eyes when the doorbell rang. A second later the door flew open and Chris came in.

"Morning, babe. Came over to grab some coffee and see how your big date went last night." He noticed Nathanial sitting at the breakfast table. "And now I have my answer because your date is still here. Hey, Nate-Dog."

I suppressed a giggle at the nickname and poured Chris a cup of coffee and filled a plate with food. He had made himself comfortable in true Chris-fashion and winked at me. "So I take it went well if you're still here this morning."

"You're so nosy. And FYI, he came back this morning for breakfast but we did have a fantastic time last night." I answered.

Nathanial eyed Chris suspiciously before getting up and putting his plate in the sink. "I should get going, Skye. Thank you for the lovely breakfast." Formal Nathanial was officially back. He kissed me gently on the cheek. "I'll call you."

I nodded and smiled up at him. Formal or not, he was delicious. Chris pushed his chair back. "I'll walk you out, man. I'll be back in a second."

They disappeared around the corner and I could hear Chris' voice but couldn't make out what he was saying. He shut the door behind Nathanial and sat back down, eating as if nothing happened.

"What'd you say?" I asked, kicking Chris under the table.

"Not much. I saw the look he gave me when I sat down, so I just told him that I would rather sleep with him than with you which pretty much got the message across that I was in no way the competition he saw me as."

I burst out laughing and stood up to give him a hug. "That's hilarious. I totally adore you." I kissed him on the top of the head then went upstairs to grab my laptop to check my mail.

I had one from my mom and dad filling me in on everything that was going on at home, a few advertisements (hello, fall boots), and one from Steel Publishing. I read it and my heart beat faster.

"What's wrong?"


I looked up at Chris anxiously. "Steel Publishing is having a company-wide meeting to discuss the policy on relationships between employees, and Spencer wants to see me in his office first thing Monday morning before the meeting."

5 comments:

  1. Whhhhaaatt? But how would they even know? There's a snitch...

    Or it has nothing to do with them? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not giving anything away :) thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesnt matter................... hes not an employee! No worries here!

    ReplyDelete