Friday, September 26, 2014

Ew!

I definitely lost sleep over this whole Jess and Rheece situation. As mad as I was at her for telling Rheece where I Iived, I was even more worried about her because I was 100% sure he had not changed. I dragged myself out of bed on Friday morning, dreading heading into work because Ashley had made it less than enjoyable. I was also starting to wonder if I was ever going to see Nate again. I'd gotten very sporadic texts from him through the week and it had all seemed like very superficial stuff that included no plans to see each other.

Ashley was not there when I got to work and I was secretly relieved. I had a Chai Tea Latte (venti and non-fat, just the way I like it) on my desk from Spencer. I'm sure he was still feeling guilty about getting me stuck with his not so charming niece.

He breezed into my office shortly after 10 while I was writing a report on a possible harassment issue happening with an employee on the floor below us.

"I'm over this." He shut the door behind him.

"Good morning to you too!" I said cheerfully. "Thanks for the latte. What's wrong?" I asked innocently, batting my eyelashes.

"You know exactly what's wrong. She's still not here and it's 10! She's supposed to be here at 8.30! Have you heard from her?"

"We're not exactly besties." I looked at my desk calendar. "I've got an interview set up on Tuesday for a potential assistant. Internally I can't really find someone that would suit the position or is available to transfer here. I can still look at other Steel companies and see if we can transfer."

Spencer agreed but wanted to give Ashley another chance. I get that he was trying to do his brother a favour but this was anything but productive for our work environment. 

I did some more work, checked my messages again to see if Nate wanted to do anything because the weekend was right around the corner. I wasn't usually one for obsessively checking my phone but his distancing had turned me into one of this people. As suspected I had no new messages from him. I decided it was time to sent him a text.

S: hey, I feel like we barely talked this week. Want to get together on the weekend?

I got no reply and still didn't have one when I went to lunch. I walked past Ashley's empty desk (I miss Kathy), and towards the elevators. One dinged and the doors opened so I headed for that one. I looked up and mumbled, "What the fuck?"

Ashley was in the elevator, a man pressed up again her. They had obviously been getting hot and heavy on their way down. Classy, Ashley.

The man turned around and my stomach dropped. That was definitely Nate. Her hand was wrapped around his tie and her lipstick (it was so cheap and way too pink) was on his mouth. I almost threw up in my mouth. He backed away quickly.

"Oh my god! Ew!" That was really the only coherent thing I could say.

"Skye..." Nate started, but I turned on my heel and hurried towards the stairs. The last thing I saw in the elevator was Ashley's disgusting smirk that I could have slapped right off her face. My appetite was gone, but I couldn't go back to my office right now. I made it down the stairs in heels in record time, out the building and to a coffee shop that was just down the block.

I grabbed a tea and sat down at an empty table. My stomach was churning. No wonder he hadn't been texting me back, he was too busy with Ashley. I felt so gross about what I saw I didn't even know how to process it.

I pulled my phone out of my purse and saw a few missed calls from Nate, a couple of voicemails, and a whole bunch of texts. 

N: Call me back!

N: Please, Skye. 

N: Where did you go? Please talk to me.

N: I can explain to you exactly what happened. Call me back.

I didn't bother reading the rest. I waited longer than my hour lunch break before heading back in. I had a meeting at 1.30 so I had more than enough time to get back to the office. I needed my stomach to settle and my nerves to calm down before I went back in. Unfortunately, Ashley was sitting at her desk when I came in.

She gave me a fake smile and sweetly asked how my lunch break was. I'm not very confrontational but today I apparently was. I called her into my office and sat down behind my desk.

With a plunk she sat down on the chair across from me. "What's your problem?"

"I've got a few actually. I've asked you nicely before to change your attire and that hasn't happened. You haven't done anything here yet and you've been here for a week. I know you were hired out of pity." She narrowed her eyes at me. "Because no one would ever hire you for real. I suggest you get home, think about what you want to do with this position, and show up on Monday morning looking less like a cheap slut."

Her mouth dropped open. "You can't talk to me that way."

Probably not. "Oh yes I can. If you don't smarten the fuck up, I will fire you first thing Monday morning and give you such a shitty reputation that not even your uncle would give you a job anymore, understood?"

I didn't raise my voice the entire time I talked and I think I actually intimidated Ashley. She fidgeted in her chair and nodded.

"Another thing. I suggest that if you can't keep it in your pants while you're at work you quit right away. Nothing would make me happier than signing termination papers based on what I saw in the elevator today." Just saying it out loud made me want to shudder.

"Fine. I guess we're done here." She scraped back her chair and stood up.

"Oh, and, Ashley?" She turned back to face me. "I'm withholding your pay for your week here due to your lack of effort and because you literally have done nothing. Have a nice weekend." I added sweetly.

She turned on get heel and stalked out of my office. I heard the drawer slam shut on her desk and then she was gone. Spencer poked his head into my office.

"What was that about?" He asked, making himself comfortable in the chair that Ashley had abandoned.

"I may or may not have just bitched out your niece." I scribbled down notes on what conditions I had given Ashley so I would have the paperwork to back it up.

Spencer sighed. "I thought we were going to give her another chance."

"Spencer, she comes in late or not at all. She does absolutely nothing while she's here, dresses like a prostitute," Spencer winced. "Sorry, but we both know it's true. I caught her making out with some guy in the elevator today. I told her she needs to get it together or she is fired. And I'm withholding her pay for this week because based on the work she's done she might as well not have even been here." I finished.

I was expecting some sort of argument from Spencer, but he just nodded. "I know you're right. I'm sorry, this was a weird situation to put you in. I guess the hunt is on for a new assistant."

"Well I told Ashley she comes back Monday morning as a whole new person or she shouldn't come back at all."

"I'm sure she won't be back. I'll explain to my brother that she just didn't work out." He stood up and patted me on the shoulder. "You do good work, kid."

"Thanks." I smiled at him. "And sorry I said that your niece looks like a hooker."

He rubbed his face with his hands. "We both know what you meant. Alright, finish whatever you're doing and head home early. I'm doing the same if I can. This has been too much excitement for one day." He  paused on his way out. "Who was she in the elevator with?"

Ugh! "I'm not sure. I didn't recognize him." I lied. I couldn't even say it out loud.

"Okay. Oh by the way, Mr. Steel sent for you so maybe see what that's about when you're done."

I nodded knowing there was no way I would be going up to see "Mr. Steel". Once Spencer left I was alone with my thoughts again. I had heard my phone vibrate a few times but couldn't get myself to look at it. As soon as I was finished, I took the stair to the parade, got in my car, and headed home to snuggle up with Koda. With Jess going back to Rheece, and Nate making out with Ashley in the elevator, this week had been a write-off!

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! Ashley is clearly just trying to land a rich bf/husband so she doesn't have to work and is relying on her family to provide her with employment until it happens. Though you probably couldn't really talk to her that way in real life, it so made me laugh because I'm sure a lot of hr people wish they could. But it would be your word against hers.
    I really hope that Nate was not doing anything and that Ashley a bushed him and you caught it at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally not haha but that's why it's fictional ;) hopefully Nate was just ambushed!! Thanks for reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! What a skank! Someone's got some 'splaining to do. Hope Nate has a good explanation of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god Ashley is gone! Good for Skye for confronting her, I hope she hears Nate out, maybe she pounced on him in the elevator?

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that Skye listens to what Nate has to say. I hope he shows up at her house or something (haha, that sounds creepy, but you know what I mean) so she actually listens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha totally know what you mean! We'll have to see what happens!! :)

      Delete