Tuesday, June 24, 2014

First Day

I started my new job at Steel Publishing today and it was exactly what I expected....overwhelming! Along with all the paperwork I had to fill out came a tour of the floor, and an orientation complete with a PowerPoint about the company. Although I had done my own research about it before I even applied for the position, I still found in interesting (even though it took almost 2 hours to get through). All this was done by Spencer, Human Resources Manager, whom I would be working directly with on a daily basis. I had met him before when I came in for the interview and we had immediately hit it off. Even though my dad and Spencer had completely different professions (my dad was a rancher with over 300 cattle), they seemed to have very similar personalities which immediately put me at ease.

And the best part of all this: I had my very own office. It made me feel so grown up!

"Sorry about the ancient furniture in here." Spencer apologized, gesturing at the aging desk with a few scratches and dents. The chair looked somewhat questionable as he spun it around and it let out a loud squeak. "On that note let me see if we have some better furniture in storage and we'll replace it before you get settled in here."

I smiled gratefully. I didn't need anything fancy but I would like to be able to sit at my desk without breaking the chair.

He glanced down at me and the over at the shelves lining one side of the wall from floor to ceiling. "I also forgot that you're...." He broke off.

"Vertically challenged?" I laughed. No way was I going to be able to reach the top third of the shelves. Even in the heels I was wearing now I was barely over 5'5".

Spencer winked at me. "Sure, let's call it that. We'll have the top shelves taken down and moved towards the wall on the other side. Should make things a little easier in here for you. Let me go check with storage and see what we have in there."

He left and I gently sat down on the shaky chair. Inside my welcome package was a very short paragraph about the head honcho of this publishing firm, which was part of a much larger empire, all owned by Mr. Steel. It didn't give a first name or a picture, all very secretive. I shrugged and moved on to read some more about the company, its goals, and bestselling books that had been published through Steel Publishing.

Spencer came back in with an older woman in tow. She have me a warm smile and introduced herself as Kathy, Spencer's and my assistant.

Spencer gave me a printed sheet full of desks, chairs, shelves and even some paintings. "Circle whatever you want on here and then give it to Kathy. She can have it delivered in here by the end of the day."

True to his word, Kathy had my new desk, chair, and a shelf delivered by the time I was packing up to go home at 5. I left feeling slightly less overwhelmed and super excited to get acquainted with my new job.

When I got home I had a bouquet of flowers on my front step with a card from Chris saying he hoped I had a great first day at work (aweeeeeeee!!!!). Seriously, how cute is he?! I sent him a quick text thanking him for the flowers and to drop by whenever he was done work. I had a message from Breanne and one from Katie asking about my first day, and a message from Jess asking if we can get together on the weekend.

One last message was in there, and it was from Lane (my ex-boyfriend)

What are you doing?

That's all it said. During the last months before we broke up, this had been Lane’s signature text. He didn’t care how I was doing, just what I was doing. I debated whether I should text back as I placed my briefcase (Yeah, I have one of those) on the little table by the door. I didn’t miss Lane, although some days it still felt weird not to call him because for the last 6 years I had more or less talked to him every day.

I decided the best thing to do was not answer. He had no right to know what I was doing anymore. If he had asked HOW I was doing, chances are he would have gotten a reply.

Pouring a glass of delicious white wine, I kicked off my shoes and sat down on the couch. First day of work: success!


2 comments:

  1. Very good post.. Glad the first day of work was good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I know this one wasn't very interesting but I wanted to write about her first day at work :)

    ReplyDelete