Friday, June 20, 2014

Flawlessly Perfect

The week I had left before starting my new job consisted mainly of catching up on the Bachelorette and Keeping up with the Kardashians (don't judge!!). As promised Chris had helped me put my new furniture together. Let me just tell you, you don't really know someone until you've spend several hours putting Ikea furniture together. Halfway through, we ended up ordering Chinese food from Bamboo Garden and opening a second bottle of wine. Chris' sexual orientation now being out in the open actually made us even more comfortable around each other.

After our furniture assembly marathon and moving everything just the way I wanted it, I finally felt like I was at home and no longer just a temporary guest. While I had always felt very at ease when visiting my grandma, now it felt like it was home! I had a beautiful new bed, bedside tables, a dresser, kitchen table, and desk.

A couple of days before I started my new job I spruced up my wardrobe a little bit more (I basically added more shoes I didn't need and some work-appropriate tops), and finally decided to meet up with Jess. I'm not going to lie, I had been putting it off a little bit. It felt weird meeting up with the Regina George of my high school days. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty confident these days and I think I have a relatively good level of self-esteem but it just seemed like an awkward throwback-to-high-school reunion to me.

We met at a Starbucks in the University District and I recognized her the second I opened the door. She still had long hair that was still expertly highlighted and flawless makeup (how does she do it?!?!). Her designer handbag sat on the stool beside her. Ugh, she still looked just as perfect as always and made me feel grungy in my distressed skinny jeans and flip flops.

We made I contact (now I could no longer hightail it out of there) and she looked genuinely surprised.
"Skye? Oh my god, I almost didn't recognize you!" She stood up and bend down to hug me. I should mention that I creeped her Facebook and it looks like she has been modelling for a while. Seriously I look like an Oompa Loompa next to her!

"Hey, Jess. It has been a few years." I slid on to the chair across from her.

“Look at your long hair.” She pushed a cup towards me. "I got you a non-fat Chai, hopefully that's okay!"
I smiled and took a sip. "That's great, thanks! How are you? What's new in life?"

She stuck out her hand and showed off a huge engagement ring. "Well as you probably already know I am engaged. Rheece is just the most perfect guy in the world." She gushed as I gave her ring the attention it deserved...seriously it was huge! I mumbled out congrats while smiled her perfect smile and continued. "And I've been modelling for Firefly, a model agency based in Seattle, which has been amazing. I've gotten to travel all over the world for photo shoots. I was actually just in Fiji." Not sure how her porcelain skin stayed so perfectly white in Fiji. "What exciting things have you been up to?"

I laughed. "Well, definitely not modelling in Fiji. For the last couple of weeks I've just been busy with the move here, and before that I worked as an administrative assistant back home. I start my new job on Monday at a publishing firm downtown as a human resources coordinator." That pretty much sums up my exciting life.

She looked at me for a second as if expecting me to tell her all these other fabulous things I did. When I didn't she flashes another one of her perfect smiles. "Wow! That sounds exciting!"

Old high school feelings came back. I've always felt like I don't quite measure up, but over the last few years I more or less grew into the person I wanted to be. Today I felt like my life just wasn't that exciting compared Jess'. Even though in general I had found my last few months pretty exciting. Oh old insecurities, go away.

For the remainder of our meet-up we mostly talked about her, which was more than fine with me. She seemed to have every part of her life completely figured out, and to both of us it was obvious that I did not. I couldn't chug my latte fast enough, and inwardly cringed when she suggested we get together for dinner and drinks soon. We exchanged numbers, and I left in a hurry.

The second I got into my car I called Breanne. I missed my best friend!

"Breanne!" I practically yelled the second she picked up the phone.

"Skye!" She yelled back. "I miss you so much! What are you doing? Where are you? Tell me you’ve met so many gorgeous men that you can't even keep their names straight."

I laughed and felt like crying at the same time. I hated being so far away from her. I filled her in on my little coffee date with Jess, and Breanne immediately clued in to how I was feeling.

"You can't feel insecure because she is in a completely different spot in life than you. She's a different person with different standards and goals. You just keep doing you, I think it's working out perfectly for you."

I knew she was right and that deep down inside I knew I was exactly where I should be. I think I may have forgotten that for a second. Good thing my bff knows exactly how to get me back on track!


2 comments:

  1. Great post... Maybe Chris and his sister needs to take Skye out and let her meet some new people and some cute guys lol.. Can't wait to see what's coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol i agree. We'll have to see what happens in the future! Thank you for reading!

      Delete