Monday, June 16, 2014

Outed

Kate and I met up at a cute little bistro down the street from Ikea. My first impression of her was that she looked like the girl version of Chris and that instantly reassured me about us getting along.
She hugged me like we had been friends forever, and chatted away as she led me to a table by the window.

"I am so excited that we get to do this today." She said after we gave out drink orders. Margaritas are totally acceptable at 12.30, obviously.

I looked up from my menu. "Me too! I'm so glad I got to meet your brother so quickly and now you too. Definitely feeling a lot less lonely now. Your brother said you're a teacher?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I just started last year and have so far only taught as a substitute teacher mostly Kindergarten through Grade 3, so I've also been waitressing. Just substituting didn’t keep me busy enough. I'm supposed to find out next week whether I get a Kindergarten class full-time starting in the fall. Finger-crossed!"

"Ah that's so exciting. Kindergarten would be so cute, and at least at that age they are still eager to learn." I laughed.

We put in our orders for lunch, and got to know each other some more. I found out Kate lived with a roommate in an apartment about 20 minutes away from where I lived. She was about my age, and had just broken up with her boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. Best friends in the making?

As we finished lunch I decided to casually (or so I hoped anyways) broach the topic of her brother.
"So, uh, is your brother seeing anyone?" I asked, and immediately fiddled with the straw in my drink. Subtle is my middle name!

Kate shook her head. "No, I think he's been single for a while now, at least since Christmas as far as I know."

Well that brightened my day! Onto the next question which will hopefully be more subtle than the last one. "What type of girls does he usually go for?"….so stealth I tell ya! Please say short, blonde women!

She gave me a weird look, then burst out laughing. "You like my brother?!"

"Well…."

"Ugh, Skye, I gotta tell you up front and I'm surprised he hasn’t done this himself. Chris swings for the other team." She laughed again.

My mouth probably just formed a perfect "O" in surprise. "What? Your brother is gay?"

Kate got serious. “Look I wouldn’t have just sprung that on you like this if I hadn’t thought Chris would have mentioned it. You're not like, against gay people are you?”

I almost spit out my drink. “No! Absolutely not. I’m not gonna lie I totally had and probably still kinda have the hots for your brother, which is probably weird for you. Out of all the things you were going to say this was just the last I expected.”

I had been totally honest with her, I really don’t have a problem with gay people at all, men or women. She had just caught me completely off guard. And I maybe felt a teensy bit hurt that he hadn’t mentioned it to me. During out pizza and beer night we had talked about so many things, and even my relationship with Lane. We had a connection for sure and he seemed really comfortable around me so I wasn’t sure why it was a big deal. And he definitely didn’t fit the stereotypical gay image so this was not what I would have guessed at all.

“Skye?” Kate snapped her fingers in front of my apparently zoned out face. “Are you okay?”

I smiled. “Totally! I wish your brother would have told me though. It doesn’t change my opinion of him at all except that I won’t look at him as boyfriend-potential for me anymore.”

She laughed. “Well after this awkward conversation how do you feel about hitting up Ikea with me?”
I grabbed my purse and scooted out of the booth. “I am so in.”

-              -              -              -

I was on my way home from Ikea with my new bed, night stands, a desk/desk chair, and book shelf (good thing my crossover was not only spacious but the seats folded down too) when I heard my phone ding that I got a new message. I told myself over and over again that I can’t look at my phone while driving, so the second I pulled into my drive way I reached to see who it was. As I had kind of expected, it was Chris.

Hey! How was shopping with Kate? Was she on her best behavior? Let me know when you're home and I’ll help you carry everything in.

I quickly replied that I was home now and he could come over whenever. Before I had even gotten out of my car I saw his front door open and walked towards my car.
Damn, he was hot! Too bad I wasn’t a guy!

“Hey, that was quick.” I called out as I closed my car door.

He gave me an uncertain look. “Are we still friends?”

I wasn’t sure if I should just say that his sister spilled the beans or I should act like I didn’t know. “Um yeah, you weirdo. Why would we not be?”

“Kate texted me that she told you…” He started.

I stopped him by holding up my hand. “Chris. You're gay, you don’t murder puppies. I don’t know why you didn’t tell me yourself, but to me it doesn’t change our friendship, even if it is only a few days old. It doesn’t change how I feel about you other than that I won’t be trying to get into your pants.”

He let out the breath he’d been holding and visibly relaxed. “Okay, awesome, thanks. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you myself, I’m just still not sure how people will react. Good thing I have an obnoxious younger sister who tells people for me.” He grinned at me. “Although if I was into women I would totally go for you.”


I laughed and put my arms around his waist. Everything was right in my little world at that moment. I’d found two awesome new friends, I had new furniture for my house, and it was only a week until I started my new job. Woohoo!

8 comments:

  1. Just started reading your blog! Awesome start. Great writting style and I'm excited to learn more about Skye.

    Love this post. Very surprised about Chris. It was a pleasant surprise. Too easy if she woulda found a date worthy boy that lives right next to her before getting settled :-)

    Whatever posting schedule that works best for you. Im officially following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! I'm so new at this and I wasn't sure how people felt about another blog so I love seeing this comment!
      Thanks for reading!!
      S.

      Delete
  2. I'm all caught up now ! Love your different story line ! && Wanting to start this blog ! Can't wait to read more ! :) Any posting schedule you choose, doesn't matter cause I'm a reader now !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!! I so appreciate you reading!
      S.

      Delete
  3. The best posting schedule is a consistent one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try my best to stay consistent!

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog and caught up, I like the story and the way it's going, I can't believe Chris is gay but it would be a little weird to find a boyfriend type guy the minute she met someone in Seattle, but at least they'll be close friends and he can help her out when she meets some jerks coming up!! I can't wait to see what happens soon!! I get so excited when I find a new blog that I am going to love to read.. Keep up the good work and I'll be back on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! Love you feedback!!

      Delete