Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Loving Seattle

Pizza night with Chris was so fun. He had not only brought over beer, but also wine, and I may have had a little hangover when I woke up the next day. Conversations flowed easily with him and talking to him felt like I'd known him for years instead of hours. He was funny, smart, and I knew we would be instant friends. He was the perfect first person to meet in Seattle, and had offered to introduce me to his sister who was the same age as me so I build up my circle of friends (which at the moment was nonexistent in Seattle).

Speaking of friends, a girl I went to high school with back home had messaged me on Facebook a couple of days ago after my obligatory status about how my move had gone, and suggested we get together for coffee to "catch up". We weren't exactly friends in high school, she was the popular girl with all the friends, perfect clothes, the hottest boyfriend, and the best grades (you know the one I’m talking about). While I had been smart, I was more of the nerdy smart than the cool smart. Thank god I grew out of my awkward teenage phase and had blossomed in an equally awkward adult stage (at least I could own it now). I messaged Jess back and said we could meet up whenever it worked for her as long as it was before my new job started.
Setting down the paint brush, I looked around the living room. The new coat of paint had completely freshened up the space. Now to get some new furniture. I had decided to keep some of my grandma's furniture, update some myself (thanks again, Pinterest), and get some new furniture. I still couldn't bring myself to sleep in her old room, but I was hoping that if I bought my own bedroom set that I would feel better about it.

I got up, washed out my paint brush, and went upstairs to change into clothes that weren't splattered in clothes. Grabbing my phone off the bedside table I answered a text from Breanne asking what to do with the hot cop that’s been visiting her office way more than necessary (definitely go for it, Breanne!). I also send a text to Chris seeing if he wanted to pick out furniture with me, then immediately regretted it because it seemed so couple-y, and we were just friends.

Before I could backtrack he answered.

Would love nothing more than spending the afternoon with you, but I'm at work. Let me send you Kate's number though and I’m sure she'll be up for it!

Kate is Chris' sister, so hopefully it wouldn’t be completely awkward going furniture with a complete stranger.          

Instead of texting Kate I decided to call her.

"Hello!"

"Hi Kate, this is Skye. Your brother gave me your number…" I started.

"Skye! Yay, I'm so excited to hear from you. Chris told me all about you and I've been dying to meet you!"

Hmm, wonder what Chris has been saying about me. His sister sounded so nice."Hopefully he's only been saying good things." I laughed. "Hey, this is a little bit strange because we don’t know each other, but would you want to go furniture shopping with me this afternoon?"

"Absolutely! I have the day off, so we could grab lunch before, and then I can show you where the nearest Ikea is?" She asked.


This was totally perfect and I told her so. We decided on a time and place to meet and then hung up. Looks like I had a furniture date with my new friend! Being an adult is so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment