Sunday, June 8, 2014

Paint Cans And New Friends

Walking to the hardware store was the worst.idea.ever! While I was originally motivated carrying the paint cans back (its exercise!), halfway back to my house my arms felt like rubber and the paint cans were starting to feel like cement blocks.
I'm not proud to admit this but at one point I actually put the cans down and sat on one just to regain some strength.
So I sat there and contemplated running home and driving back to pick up my paint cans, and had just gotten up when someone let out a yell. "What the fuck?!"

I spun around and saw a guy holding his foot. I shot up from my spot and apologized profusely.
"Ohmygod! Are you okay? I'm so sorry, I should have moved these off the path more."

He was quite a bit taller than me even as he was bent over inspecting the damage the can had done to his toes through his runners. He was wearing a grey shirt and black sweatpants and had obviously been out on a run.

"It's okay, I should have looked where I was going." He looked at me and the corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled.

I guess I should mention that I'm somewhat of an awkward person, so the only thing I could come up with to say was, "Uh...what were you running from?"

He laughed and pushed his already messy sandy blonde hair back. "Just heading back from a run. Although in all the times I've ran along here I can't say I've ever ran into a paint can before."

"I'm so sorry. I thought walking to the hardware store was a good idea until the paint got insanely heavy and I needed a break. I really don't even have that far to go anymore." I rambled looking down to where my house was.

He picked up the paint cans still sitting on the ground. "Well why don't I take these for you and we'll walk that way together?"

I wanted to decline and say I could do it but my arms felt like spaghetti so I accepted. "Thank you so much! They are pretty heavy though, so feel free to back out at any time. This is probably out of your way anyways..."

"Actually, I live right there." He pointed to the house next to mine.

"What? Really? You're my neighbour!" I exclaimed.

"No way, that's awesome!" He grinned at me. "Always wanted a cute neighbour."

I smiled up at him (and I mean way up, he was at least a foot taller than my 5’2”), "I'm Skye by the way. That used to be my grandma's house but I just moved here a couple days ago."

"I'm Chris. Bought this house a couple of years ago, and I met your grandmother a few times. I’m sorry about her passing away."
That was still hard for me to hear. I missed her so much, and it's sad knowing I'll never see her again. Being in her house kept her alive to me though.
I walked ahead of Chris to unlock my front door and let him inside. He put the paint cans on the floor.
I fidgeted with my keys. "I can’t thank you enough for carrying these home for me. Next time I’m definitely taking my car. Um....would you like to come over for pizza and beer tonight, as, like you know, a thank you?" I cast him a questioning glance.
"Yeah, you bet. I'll bring the beer though. Just come knock on my door whenever you're ready. I gotta go shower. See ya in a bit, Skye", he winked at me. Helloooo!

He left and walked the short distance to his house. I smiled to myself. I'd made my first friend in Seattle, and he is SO cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment