Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Busy Days

* Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian readers!!! Xo, S.*

It had only been 12.30am when we got home (I say it so nonchalantly, but some days staying up till 10pm was hard for me) so we all vegged out on the couch and watched ‘We're the Millers’. I need to look like Jennifer Aniston when I'm her age (or now…whatever). Chris fell asleep on the couch right away and was still out by the time the movie was over, so I offered Daniel the spare bedroom upstairs and Katie half of my bed. On Saturday while we were at lunch I decided to text Jess to make sure she was okay. She responded right away.

J: What r u talking about? Of course I am!

S: You seemed upset last night so I wanted to make sure you were okay.

J: Um no I wasn’t. Why r u so obsessed with this???

"What did she say?" Katie asked looked over at my phone. "Whoa, seriously? She practically ran off after Rheece dragged her away from us."

Chris put a hand on her shoulder, and squeezed it. Katie and Chris together made me miss my brother. While we had always been close, in the last few years we became super close. Since I moved I've talked to him maybe once and it made me sad that there was so much distance between us. I made a silent vow to call him that night.

I decided to not text Jess back because I just had nothing to say to that.

Lunch was relaxing and super comfortable. We found out more about Daniel, who is an interior designer and has recently moved here from LA. After lunch we went our separate ways with Chris and I heading back to our houses together.

"What did you think of Daniel?" Chris asked me once we were in his car.

I smiled at him. "He seemed genuinely nice. I really liked him. I'm so sorry about how Rheece acted last night."

Chris reached over and took my hand. "Hey, that is absolutely not your fault. You're one of the most accepting people I have met, how that douchebag acted has nothing to do with you."

"I guess. I just hated their whole situation last night, it was so uncomfortable. And now she's acting like nothing happened."

"Maybe nothing did happen, we don't know. But she is a grown up, and she can deal with this the way she wants to."

Very true. The rest of the drive we talked about random things. When we got home I gave him a tight hug and promised to go for a run with him tomorrow (hopefully he doesn't judge me when I'm out of breath after 5 minutes).

The remainder of the weekend was spent napping, texting Breanne, grocery shopping, instagramming pictures of Seattle (including one of Chris and I running where he looks perfect and I look like I'm half dead), and finally calling my little brother.

"Booboo!" I yelled the second he answered the phone.

"Sis!" Man I missed him. He always sounded like he was 45 years old on the phone because his voice was so insanely deep. Stevie was 3 years younger than me, and was turning 21 in a week.

"I miss you! Tell me everything that's new?"

"Not much is new. I'm sort of seeing a new year from school."

That peaked my interest. My brother was a known man whore around the town we grew up so him admitting he was seeing someone was interesting for sure. "Ooh, that's exciting. From school as in university?"

He laughed nervously. "No, she's still in high school. She turned 16 a few months ago."

Um!! I didn't even know what to say....barely 16 seemed a little young. I told him I thought so and he immediately defended her.

"No, she's super mature and everything. You'll have to meet her when you come home to visit."

"Yeah, that sounds good." Anything but good but I wasn't about to tell him that. I was hoping this would just be one of those things that fizzled out super quick.

We spend another half an hour catching up and I promised to text more and call again soon.Once I got off the phone with him I checked my work e-mail. So far I haven't had too many e-mails to deal with but Spencer had warned me that within a few weeks once everyone was familiar with me I would get bombarded with them. I'm glad I did check because one e-mail was company-wide and announced a staff meeting early at 9.00 am sharp. Interesting!

-              -              -              -

Armed with a Grande non-fat chai tea latte and a white chocolate Mocha from Starbucks, I sailed passed the receptionist ("Sara without the 'h'!") and into my office on Monday morning. Technically my hours were 9am to 5pm but with the meeting scheduled for this morning I decided to come in a bit early to get a head start on the files I wanted to go through.

"Good morning, Skye!" Kathy peaked into my office. "You're here bright and early."

“I definitely didn't want to be late for the meeting. Just the idea of being late makes me anxious. Here!" I handed her the white chocolate mocha.

"You are a doll." She took a sip and smiled appreciatively. "You know I'm your assistant so technically I should be getting these for you, but this has just made my morning so much brighter."

"I don't expect you to bring me coffee. Do you know what this meeting is about? The e-mail was sort of vague."

"Rumours are it's about security but apparently Mr. Steel called this one personally so it's all just been rumours." Kathy shrugged. "We'll find out soon."

I read over resumes until Spencer knocked on my door just before 9. "Time to go see what's up."

I wasn't sure if Spencer didn't know about the contents of the meeting either or he was just keeping them to himself, but I followed him to a big conference room a floor above us. For the number of people sitting in the conference room it was relatively quiet.

"Mr. Steel is making an appearance at this meeting, and whenever this happens there is this nervous quietness through the whole room." Spencer explained. So apparently we were going to meet the secretive Mr. Steel today. Did he even have a first name?

Thirty seconds after we sat down, the most gorgeous guy walked in (I almost drooled) along with a white haired, older man with a little bit of a belly. The younger man, probably early thirties, was over 6 feet tall, his broad shoulder’s filled out his immaculate suit jacket. His dark hair was complimented with the most incredible blue eyes I have ever seen. I couldn’t take my eyes off him.Spencer elbowed me and winked. He totally knew what I was thinking.

The older gentleman, Mr. Steel I’m guessing, started talking about security improvements that were being made to the building in the two days before the Independence Day long weekend, and that offices would be closed. Extra-long weekend for me? Score!

I’m not going to lie, I barely listened to Mr. Steel, and instead stared at his insanely handsome assistant that stood beside him. I was giving him a causal once over when I reached his face and realized his eyes were on me. We made eye contact, and his blue eyes were so unwavering and intense that I had to look away. For the rest of the meeting I fidgeted beside Spencer.

After the meeting, Spencer gave Kathy the task of moving any appointments we had on Wednesday and Thursday to Tuesday. We ended up having to schedule meetings into the evening. I was definitely in for a long couple of days, but pretty excited about having that extra-long weekend. I between meetings I checked my phone and saw I had a message from Katie.

K: Morning, love! Any long weekend plans?

S: None yet, I was just thinking about sticking around Seattle. I got Wed/Thurs off too!!

K: Perfection! Want to come to my aunts and uncles farm with Chris and me?

S: More details?

K: Leave Wednesday morning, it’s a 4ish our drive, huge farm, eye candy for you because my cousin will be there, and come back Sunday night?

Eff yes, this sounds amazing.

S: I am so in!!

K: Woohoo, go visit Chris after work, he will give you more details. This weekend just got hundred times better!!


Two crazy busy days of work, and I will be off to a mini-vacay to farm with two wicked people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment