Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mhmm...lunch!

*Computer was saved (no one likes seeing a blue screen pop up like I did last night!). Sorry for the late post! Xo, S.*

As someone who takes everything to heart, Jess' visit and very quick departure had taken its toll on me. By the time Monday rolled around I was tired but also grateful for the distraction work would provide. Monday was also the first time I would be firing an employee, or "parting ways" as Steel Publishing called it. Spencer sat in on it with me, although it was relatively quick and painless (for me anyways) and the lady I was letting go handled it rather well. After filing the appropriate paperwork it was lunch time already.

I was in the process of grabbing my purse to head down to the bistro in the lobby on the main floor when I heard a knock at my door. I glanced up and almost dropped my purse. "Oh! I wasn't expecting you."

Nathanial looked at me in the way he always did, like he could see right through me and into my soul. Of course he had to look like he was good enough to eat. "Miss Young."

A man of very few words apparently as he didn't say anything else. I inwardly scolded myself for being so flustered.

"I'm sorry, did we have an appointment?" I absentmindedly scanned over my desk calendar (still preferred it over my iPhone calendar).

 "No." He stepped further inside my office that seemed to shrink around us. "I was hoping you would accompany me to lunch." Not sure whether I had heard him correctly, I stared at him for a second.

"Me?" The second that came out of my mouth I regretted it. Tryyyyy to sound a little bit more intelligent, Skye!

Nathanial almost smiled. "Yes, you."

"Uh…sure?" What happened to the confident woman I usually was?

He waited for me silently as I made my way out the door. Kathy raised her eyebrows at me when we walked past but I avoided eye contact with her. Thankfully no one else was in the office to see us leave.
Instead of going to the bistro downstairs, Nathanial ushered me into a black town car that was waiting at the curb. Apparently my mom's warning to never accept a ride from a stranger was forgotten and I got in willingly.

We rode in silence as the driver navigated the way  to an upscale restaurant a few blocks down from the Steel building and I suddenly became time conscious. I had an hour for lunch which was usually more than enough but I also never went anywhere for lunch.

"I need to be back by one o'clock." I said trying to sound casual.

"You will be." Nathanial replied as he helped me out of the car.

I was so glad I had worn my cute, black pencil skirt and my dark purple blouse so I sort of fit into the crowd in the restaurant. Some people glanced our way, one lady openly stared. Looks like his insanely good looks didn’t just effect me. We were seated right away and drinks and appetizers were brought out right away.
I cast Nathanial a questioning look and he simply said he ordered ahead.

"You were pretty confident I was going to go with you."

"I was hoping you would come." He handed me a small plate for the appetizers. " Tell me about yourself."

"Um, what would you like to know?" I wasn't being coy, I just have never really known what to answer to questions like this.

He asked me about where I was from, about my family and how I was liking Seattle. I was surprised by how easily conversation flowed between us considering how awkward I usually was around him. Before I knew it we were done our delicious lunch and it was time for us to go.

As we got seated in the car (Nathanial opened my door like a true gentleman), I got that feeling of awkwardness again. I knew he was just Mr. Steel's assistant, but I considered him completely out of my league and like we had to sneak around because we worked in the same place. I calmed myself down by reminding myself that this was just a lunch, and nothing had happened that could be considered even remotely inappropriate.

Nathanial suddenly looked at me with his piercing eyes (as I tried to pretend I hadn't been staring at him). "Are you with anyone?"

I shook my head no. Mike and I were still just friends and would remain friends for the foreseeable future.  
Nathanial reached out, his hand completely engulfing mine. "I want to see you again."It was more of a request than a question but his eyes quietly searched my face for an answer.

"I would like that." I said casually even though my heart was beating ten million miles a minute.

We pulled up in front of the building and I got ready to go back to work. Nathanial continued to hold my hand and pulled me closer to him.

"I would walk you up, but I had a meeting to attend across the city." His face was close, his lips only an inch away, almost touching.


I was convinced he was going to kiss me, when he whispered. "I'll see you again." With that he pulled away I wordlessly got out of the car in a hurry and without looking back (okay maybe I looked once) went into the Steel building. Nathanial's car didn't leave until I was safely inside. As I rode up to my floor I thought about our lunch. I still knew absolutely nothing about him, except for his first name. 

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm... he's mysterious and confident. I like it. But I have a weird feeling about the office romance.

    New Beginning, New Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, we'll see where it goes!! Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone else get a 50 shades vibe here? I don't know why I get that vibe, but I've gotten it from every post with Nathaniel. - Maybe it's a mysterious/quiet but powerful vibe. But I get the sense he's modeled after Christian Grey. (there's nothing wrong with that by the way lol. It's just the sense I get/how I feel about the character).

    I have a feeling he's actually the owner of the company and the older gentleman is his assistant.

    (Sorry. deleted this by accident somehow. Not really tech savvy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought of Nathaniel with a Christian Grey vibe but now that you mention it I can't get it out of my head haha we'll have to see what he is all about! Thanks for reading!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Could be, we'll have to see! Thanks for reading!

      Delete