Friday, July 4, 2014

Extra-long Weekend Pt. 1

I made it through my two insanely busy days!!! I stayed till almost 10pm every night (without any complaints because I got two extra days off). I did find it interesting that Mr. Steel had no issues with shutting down the office with such short notice, but because I got to see his hot assistant I totally didn't mind.

Jess hadn't texted me anymore and I was starting to think that our very short conversation through text on Saturday would be the last I would hear from her. Oh well!

Our long weekend started off with Katie coming over in Tuesday night once I was home from work with a bottle of wine. I was just starting to pack and packing with wine is ALWAYS better. We ended up finishing one bottle of wine and getting through the majority of a second one....let the long weekend begin!

After sleeping in and finishing packing we crammed all of our stuff into Chris' car, along with snacks and an iPod filled with music. We spend the entire drive laughing and talking about random things as we headed out of the city. There was no weekend traffic yet because we left a couple of days early so it was smooth sailing all the way to the farm. I grew up on a farm, and being able to go visit one for a few days was exciting for me (and made me a tiny bit homesick).

Chris and Katie's aunt's and uncle's farm was absolutely beautiful. As we were driving they pointed out where their land started and we finally made it to a gate with a sign that read The Campbells. The long, tree-lined driveway wound through fields and past a small lake (Katie: "It has a beach!") towards a beautiful house. Two stories high with a beautiful wrap-around porch and dark red shutters, it stood beside a red barn. If you think of the stereotypical farm, this is it, tractor and all.

A large dog, followed by a smaller dog, were the first to greet us. The larger one was a border collie mix, while the smaller one was a Jack Russell (which my parents had two of at home).

Katie got out of the car. "Hey, Blue! Hey, Jones!" She patted the enthusiastic dogs.

A middle aged woman came out of the house, her arms outstretched. "My loves!! I'm so glad you made it. And you must be Skye. Oh look at you, aren't you just the prettiest little thing. George! The kids are here!" We were all hugged and squeezed and hugged again, while a man with graying hair made his way towards them.

"It's so nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Campbell." I said between more hugs and a thump on the back from George that almost knocked the wind out of me.

"Oh, just call us Helen and George, dear. You came with my favourite niece and nephew, so you are part of the family." Helen put her arms around Katie and I and led us towards the house. George and Chris followed with our bags.

Helen ushered us to the kitchen table and immediately produced a pitcher of iced tea and plates full of delicious snack foods. I definitely wasn't losing any weight this weekend.

While we all got settled she filled us in on her son's whereabouts. "Now Mikey should be home any minute. He took is new horse out, a beautiful gelding, a couple of hours ago. He was so excited that you guys were coming." She smiled fondly at Chris. "When Chris used to spend the summers here those to were inseparable. Just the best of friends. I don't think much has changed now that they are grown up."

I didn't know Chris had spend his summers here when he was younger, but I would ask him about them later. I felt so at home and comfortable here. George seemed like the strong and silent type, while Helen was the chatty one.

She showed us our rooms upstairs. I would be sleeping in Mike's old room since he had his own house on the property. Helen left us to unpack and Katie immediately came in and flopped down on the bed.

"These twin beds have been in here since we were little. Chris' feet hang over the end but he refused to tell auntie that he doesn't fit in them anymore. I can't wait for you to meet Mike, you're gonna love him!"

Chris came in and sat down on the floor. "You're gonna fit in the bed at least, Skye. You're mini-sized."

I threw the shirt I was unpacking at him. "You suck!"

"Knock, knock!" A deep voice said from the door way.

I whipped around, still holding a hand full of underwear. Well hello, handsome! This must be Mike. He was about the same height has Chris. He had dark hair, and hazel eyes and sported a dark tan. He looked sweaty, and dusty, and insanely delicious.

Katie jumped up and into his arms. "My favourite cousin!"

He whirled her around before setting her down and reaching over to give Chris a bear hug.

"I've missed you guys! Who is this pretty lady?" He grinned down at me showing off perfect teeth.

I quickly shoved my handful of underwear in the drawer behind me. "I'm Skye. It's so nice to meet you." I stuck out my hand.

"I'm a little sweaty so let's save the handshake for later." He winked at me. "Actually, if these two don't care you probably won't either." My outstretched hand was ignored as I received the same bear hug Chris had. "I'm going to run home, shower and change. Meet you guys at the lake in an hour?"

We were all up for it, and thank you Katie for making me pack my cute bikinis. Katie got up and pulled 

Chris up with her. "On a scale of one to ten, how cute is he?"

"Cute doesn't even do him justice." I said laughing. "This is going to be a fun weekend!"


No comments:

Post a Comment