Thursday, August 21, 2014

Charity Event Revelations

I spend a couple of sleepless nights thinking about Nathanial's and my make out session in the stairwell (seriously, I felt like a 16 year old girl after she got her first kiss behind the high school bleachers). I decided to forget about it and focus on work. Luckily we had no more run-ins at the Steele building. As promised, Katie came over Friday afternoon once I was done work. She curled my hair while we drank this delicious rose wine Breanne had purchased during her visit. Once I was dressed and my make-up complete, Katie and I admired her seriously awesome knack for styling hair. My blonde hair was curled in big lose curls with a deep part on the left. She had pinned part of my hair behind my ear on the left side, the end result was seriously stunning and I could take absolutely no credit for it.

Chris picked me up at seven-thirty so we could make it in for the cocktails at eight and showered me with compliments (just like he should LOL). Katie waved us off at the door with her glass of wine and promised she would have a sleepover so we could all go for brunch in the morning.

"Remember to leave before you turn back into a pumpkin." She called from the door.

Our drive took less than twenty minutes and we found parking easily in the parking garage just down the block (valet parking seemed just a little too pretentious for us). The venue for the charity event was perfectly decorated and already full of guests. Proceeds from the silent auction that was being held went to a foundation that was battling the illiteracy problem in our country. We found Spencer right away and introduced Chris to him. They immediately hit it off which didn't surprise me because Chris seems to get along with everyone, making him the perfect date for this.

I spotted Nathanial's girlfriend while we were getting drinks. She looked stunningly flawless of course which made me feel even shittier about this weird relationship (can we call it that?!) I had with him. Clearly I couldn't even begin to compete with her. I subtly pointed her out to Chris.

"Are you sure that's his girlfriend?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I've seen them together a few times."

"Hmm." He casually gestured towards her as she locked lips with a handsome, blonde man that was definitely not Nathanial.

"Oh. Well, I guess I was wrong on that one." I grinned at him, feeling much better about the Nathanial-situation. “Let’s go check out what’s up for bidding at the silent auction, maybe you can buy me a romantic weekend at a remote cabin.”

We browsed through the silent auction items, bidding on a spa day that was way out of my budget and a wine making kit that Chris was pretty eager about. There apparently really was a romantic weekend getaway at a remote cabin that Chris jokingly bid on. I was still on edge because I knew Nathanial was here somewhere among all the guests. By the time our attention was called for the speeches (yawn!) I still hadn’t caught sight of him so I felt much more relaxed.

A couple of publishers, the head of the literacy foundation, and various “important” people did their speeches, Mr. Steel was called up for his speech. I fidgeted with my glass of wine because wherever Mr. Steel went, Nathanial, as his assistant, went too.

I saw Nathanial, looking oh so hot and somewhat uncomfortable in a three piece grey suit. I was a few rows of people away from the podium, but still made eye contact with him. I practically melted and glanced sideways at Chris, who grinned down at me.

Instead of Mr. Steel giving the speech, Nathanial started talking. People hung on to his every word, and I was pretty impressed with how well he was giving his speech. I was starting to think that he was giving Mr. Steel quite the introductory speech when Chris nudged me.

“That’s Nathanial, right?” He whispered.

I nodded. “Yeah, he’s gorgeous, hey?”

“Totally.” Chris chuckled. “Skye, Nathanial is Mr. Steel.”

I looked at him in disbelief. “WHAT?!” I said louder than I intended and a few people glanced at me. “No!” I whispered back fiercely. Nathanial was not Mr. Steel, he was definitely the assistant.

“Pretty sure that’s Nathanial Steel right there. Generally very elusive, much younger than everyone thinks. I think everyone still thinks of his grandfather when they hear anything related to Steel.”

Fuck. As if I didn’t already feel stupid enough. “I told him right to his face that he was Mr. Steel’s assistant the other day and he said nothing to correct me, just shoved his tongue down my throat.”

“Ew, didn’t need to know the details. It’s for sure him. I can’t believe I didn’t put it all together sooner.”

I looked up from my intense, whispered conversation with Chris having missed most of Nathanial’s speech. He was still talking, looking directly at me. Why had he lied to me? As if Nathanial being an employee didn’t already put my job at enough risk. If anyone found out I had almost had sex with the boss of the entire cooperation I could lose my job and ruin my whole professional reputation.

As I looked right back at him, I got past some of the confusion and started feeling equally sad and mad. I’d been played. Fml!

“Can we go?” I asked Chris quietly, my eyes not leaving Nathanial’s.

“Hmm?”

“Let’s go.” I took Chris’ hand and weaved my way through the crowd that was still enthralled by Nathanial’s speech.

We made it to the bar and dropped our empty glasses off. “He wrapped that speech up pretty quick.” Chris mentioned.

“Whatever, let’s just go.” We headed towards the exit and had made it all the way out the door when Nathanial called my name. “Keep going.” I nudged Chris forward when he slowed to wait for Nathanial to catch up.

“Talk to him.” Chris stopped me. I looked around to see Nathanial following us.

“Chris, I don’t want to. Can we please, please just go before I burst into tears?” I pleaded.

He spend a second staring at me intently. “Fine. Come on, babe.” He took my hand in his and we hurried towards his car.

I could hear Nathanial’s pace quicken behind us but I made it into the car before he could catch up to us. Chris closed the car door behind me when Nathanial came up. I couldn’t hear what they were saying and I wasn’t about to peak out. A minute or two passed before Chris opened his car door and folded himself into the driver’s seat.

“He’ll leave you alone for now.” He murmured and squeezed my hand. It instantly reassured me.


I looked out the window as we left the parking garage and spotted Nathanial standing at the entrance of the charity event. Although it was relatively dark, I knew that he saw me and I couldn’t find it in me to look away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment