Friday, August 29, 2014

Talks

"What...what are you doing here?" I asked Nathanial after opening the door. Katie, Chris, and Jess had gone quiet in the living room.

Nathanial looked good enough to eat. His tie, suit jacket, and vest were gone and a couple of the top buttons on his shirt were undone. His hair that had been relatively tame before was a wild mess on his head and looked like he had run his fingers through a few times. I had to consciously remind myself that this was the owner of the company (and many others) that I worked for and having sex with him on my doorstep would be so inappropriate.

"Can we talk?" He looked over my shoulder at the people in my living room who, I'm sure, were openly staring. "Outside."

"Um...sure?" I followed him outside and sat down on the top step, Koda sniffing around outside before finding his place on my lap. Nathaniel took a seat beside me and surprisingly Koda didn't growl for once.

He seemed hesitant for a moment as if unsure where to start. "I am Nathaniel Steel as you figured out tonight. I'm sorry about you finding out the way you did."

I nodded. "Why did you let me believe you were just some assistant?"

"I don't know. It just felt good to be nobody for once I guess."

I laughed and it sounded hollow to my ears. "That's so cliché."

This was the first time I've ever seen him unsure of something. "It's true though. Would you have come even close to me if you knew I owned not just Steel Publishing but everything with the Steel name and others that aren't under my name?"

I considered this for a moment. I had already been reluctant to be close to someone in the company who I thought was an assistant so getting close with the owner was out of the question. "No, probably not."

"Exactly." He ran his hand through his hair messing it up even more.

"Okay...doesn't this put my job in jeopardy? Our policy is strictly against any sort of relationship that's not professional between employees."

He laughed. I think this was the first time I've heard him laugh and it was such a great sound. "No. I'm not an employee."

Duh! "But I don't want this to fuck up my reputation. This is my career and I can't jeopardize that by being known as someone who-" I wasn't sure how to put it. "Who did what I did..." I finished lamely. I'm so good with words, obviously.

"If anyone finds out it's not going to be from me. The last thing I want to do is put you in a compromising situation."

"Okay, then we will just pretend nothing happened and move on and we'll both be fine." Even as I said it I felt sad about it. I wasn't ready for Nathaniel to be out of my life.

He looked directly at me. "What if I want to keep seeing you?"

I looked up at him in surprise. "What? What about the woman I keep seeing you with?"

"That's my cousin, Diane. She's currently in the process of selling me her small amount of shares she has with Steel." He explained.

"Oh." I didn't know what else to say. This was overwhelming. The gorgeous billionaire wanted to see me? I'm definitely not material for someone like him, I was more of the girl-next-door type. 

He waited for me to say something and when I didn't he spoke up again. "I like you, Skye. We can keep this private and between us for now, but I really want to get to know you better."

My heart fluttered. Was this really happening? "Okay. But other than my friends who know I know you no one else can know. I love my job and it's important to me."

"Deal." He stood up. "I'll call you."

I frowned. "Don't you need my number for that? Wait, how do you even know where I live?"

He looked embarrassed for a second before he was back to his normal, cocky self. "You work in my company, I can look it up."

"Hmm. Well how about you just ask for my number instead of being a creep?"

"A creep?!" He looked amused and almost smiled. "Fine, would you do me the honor of giving me your number?"

I laughed and rattled off my number. He put it in his phone, thanked me, and walked off towards his waiting car. He was almost at the car when he turned around and came back. Nathaniel stopped right in front of me, placed his hands on either side of my face and planted a kiss on me that melted my insides.

"I can't seem to keep my hands off you." He whispered before giving me one more hot kiss. "I'll call." With that he left.

Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into. 

10 comments: