Friday, August 8, 2014

Loneliness and Confusion

Breanne and spend the remainder of her time with me relaxing and exploring the area around Seattle (has anyone ever been to a more magical place than Olympic National park?!). I worked all day Monday and had just enough time to grab dinner with Breanne before I had to drop her off at the airport. I sat in the airport until the plane she was on took off and then felt sad and lonely. I missed her so much already and she had barely even left. I drove back to my house that seemed a little too quiet now that she was gone. I changed out of my work clothes into a pair of tights and an oversized sweater and headed next door to see if Chris was home.

He answered the door in just his pyjama pants but let me in right away. Out of nowhere I burst into tears (although I'm generally a happy, optimistic person I did this quite a bit). He cuddled me on the couch and waited until I was cried out.

"What's wrong, babe?" He asked, brushing my hair away from my face soothingly.

"I don't even know. I just dropped Breanne off at the airport and now I feel so lonely." I sniffed and very attractively wiped my nose with the back of my hand. "Sorry for bringing my pity party over here."

"Don't be sorry. Ever. You're always welcome here and you know that." He kissed the top of my head. "Seems like the whole Jess-drama, Nathaniel-confusion, and Breanne-leaving just got to you."

I had to agree with that. I feel like a lot had happened in the last week when my life was usually borderline boring. I hadn't seen or heard from Nathanial and at this point I thought it was best to just forget about the whole embarrassing incident.

"Have you ever thought about getting a dog?" Chris asked randomly.

I gave him a puzzled look. "Um, no. Why?"

"I just think it might help with the whole feeling lonely thing and also good protection. It's nice to come home to something every day and you live all by yourself. Plus you have a big backyard and work pretty good hours."

I thought about what he said for a moment. "True. Why don't you have a dog then?"

"I would love one but my hours are too crazy. It wouldn't get the attention it deserved and that's not fair." He explained.

I did love dogs and missed my parents dog Gus immensely. Nothing kills the feeling of being alone like puppy cuddles and sloppy doggy kisses.

That gave me something to think about for the rest of the night. I obviously didn't want to make a rash decision because having a dog meant having it for the rest of its life and that is a big deal to me. I decided to call my parents the next morning and see what they thought and, after chatting with Chris for a while longer, I went to bed in a much better mood.

My mom immediately started worrying about me when I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a dog but I reassured her that I was doing great here. Both my parents thought it was a great idea and encouraged me to get an older dog so I didn't have to train a puppy and leave a puppy alone all day. My mind was pretty much made up but I wanted to give it till the weekend to make sure this wasn't an impulse decision.

I drove into work in a great mood. I hadn't seen Nathaniel in the building since we went for lunch so I wasn't worried about running into him.

My morning was filled with interviews, a policy revision, and meetings with Spencer. Before I knew it, it was lunch time and I grabbed my wallet to run down to the bistro and grab a sandwich. I sent a text to Katie about possibly getting a dog and she offered to visit some shelters with me this week.

I was waiting for my sandwich and people-watched out the window. I took a big sip of my green tea then almost spit it out when I watched Nathanial stepping out of the back of a black car. He wasn't alone. Seconds later he reached down to help the gorgeous brunette out of the car that I had seen him with before. She laughed at something he said, slipped her arm through his, and together they walked into the building. I lost sight of them when my order got called.

Fml! This seriously sucked. I grabbed my sandwich and tea and headed for the elevator.

S: Saw Nathanial with the VS model look alike...

K: Fuck! Seriously? Not impressed.

S: Me neither. As if I don't already feel shitty enough about the whole thing.

K: Don't even waste two seconds on him. Not worth it!! Xoxo

I smiled at Katie's text and look up when the elevator stopped. We still had a few floor to go before we got to mine.

The doors dinged open and Nathanial and his lady friend got in. I made eye contact with him before I could stop myself and he just stared at me.

"Skye." He finally said.

I flashed him an obviously fake smile and proceeded to ignore him. They few seconds it normally took to get to my floor dragged on and on. The elevator stopped at my floor after what seemed like an eternity. Before I had a chance to make my escape, Nathanial spoke up again.

"I'd like a word with you. Come up to the top floor when you are free."

I almost laughed. "I don't think so. Have a good day!" I hurried out of the elevator before he had a chance to respond and went back to work with my mind preoccupied for the rest of the day. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this blog even though I have never commented. I honestly wish that chris would like Skye cause I think theyd be the cutest things


    newadventureswithbrenda.blogspot.com
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I agree they would be so cute together, but they also make pretty great friends :)

      Delete