Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Furry Friend

I have a dog! A very cute Yorkie-mix that was about 8 or 9 years old. I had initially thought about getting a bigger dog but I fell in love with this one the second I saw him. I had been told he was rescued from an abusive home and could therefore be a bit timid until he felt safe. He had some scarring under his right eye that had so far not affected his vision. I have never understood how anyone could hurt and innocent little animal like this and seeing the scars made me just want to take care of him. No one knew what his name had been before but he had picked up the name Koda at the adoption center which I thought was super cute.

After all the paper work was filled out, my fee was paid, and the references I had provided were checked I was allowed to take Koda home. I was beyond ecstatic about my tiny furry friend. Katie drove us home so we could get acquainted on the drive. He looked at everything with a distrustful expression (who can blame him?!) and flinched every time one of us made any sudden movements. It was heartbreaking.

I had pet supplies set up at home for him including the biggest puppy pillow I could find. Koda stuck close to me when we brought him inside and Katie left soon after to give us time to bond.

With probably more detail and talking than necessary I showed him the backyard, where his food and water was, and where his brand new puppy pillow/bed was. After some hesitant exploring he curled up in the corner of the room and fell asleep.

I sent my family and friends a picture of him, and uploaded a picture on Instagram (#adoptdontshop). I was laying on the couch debating what to do with the rest of my day when my phone vibrated indicating I had a text. And that text was from Jess.

Such a cute dog. Can't wait to see it!! 

Was she being real? I hadn't heard from her since she hid out here and that's all she could say to me since making her quick exit. Instead of texting her I decided to call her. I was surprised she answered.

"Oh, hi Skye! It's so good to hear from you." She said cheerfully on the other end.

While I was normally not a confrontational person I was over Jess' back and forth behaviour. "What is your problem? You show up here crying and totally upset, then leave as fast as you can and then I just get this text from you ten days later?"

There was a surprised silence on the other end. "I don't know what you're talking-"

"Yes, you do! I don't mind helping you but I can't deal with your back and forth behavior. You like me, you hate me. I just don’t get it."

"Whatever." And with that she hung up.

I laid motionless on the couch for a while wondering if I'd done the right thing. I didn't want to get tangled up in whatever confusing web her and Rheece were spinning. If she needed help I would help her in a heartbeat but not if she kept pretending everything was peachy.

A cold nose touched my hand that was dangling of the couch. "Hey, buddy!" I slowly reached out to pet Koda's head, and although he flinched slightly, he didn't move otherwise. Step in the right direction.

With slow movements I got off the couch and found his new leash and collar. "Let's go see if Chris wants to go for a walk with us."

We spend the remainder of the day exploring the neighborhood trails and looking for off-leash parks. Chris joined us once he had finished whatever work he was doing from home and was delighted to meet Koda. 

“Forget about him, babe.” Was Chris’ take on the Nathanial situation. “You handled it like a boss!”

I laughed. “Thanks, it was so awkward. Hey, on a completely unrelated note, want to be my date for this charity function next Friday? It’s kinda short notice but I forgot about it until Spencer mentioned it yesterday.”

“Asking me out on date, are ya?” He nudged me with his elbow and we slowed down so Koda could sniff a bush on the side of the path. “But yeah, I’ll for sure go. I’m guessing it’s black-tie?”

“Yup. Which reminds me that I need to go shopping tomorrow but I’ll recruit your sister for that.” I hooked my arm through his. “Thanks for coming with me. And also thanks so much for the dog suggestion.”


Koda lifted his tiny back leg and did his business on a nearby tree, looking infinitely happier already than he did that morning. Safe to say I was head over heels in love with my little guy already.

2 comments:

  1. I think the elevator walk-off comment perfectly encapsulates every smart, breezy comment we all wish we could have at our fingertips.

    ReplyDelete